Mittwoch, 5. Februar 2014

Yarn Along

At the moment I am finishing the Quynn hat for my son. It is the first time I have a Noro yarn in my hands and as a friend wrote to me, it is the correct yarn to fight winter depression. Though, this year we do not really have any winter here. The two, three centimeters of snow already melted again, while parts of Austria is drowning in snow. I would like if there would be some kind of winter in February to go bob sliding with my kids. Well, with my son, rather. The hat is almost finished, but I guess it should be worn during the first cold days of spring.
For the reading I have a book of John Irving in my hands. It is the novel "The fourth hand". Normally, I do not try to read more than one book of an author. If I really like a book of a specific author, usually I am disappointed by another one of the same author. There are a few exceptions. John Iriving is one of them. I read "Hotel New Hampshire", "The world according to Garp" and "Last night at Twisted River". I liked each of those. I appreciate how Irving forms his characters and the relationships among them. So I did not hesitate, when I saw "The fourth hand" at the library. Nevertheless, this book is a big disappointment. I dislike the way of telling the story in a retrospective way, the characters are boring up to now and the story - well which story? I will see, whether the book will change at some point.

The others joining Ginny's Yarn Along can be found here.

Im Moment bin ich dabei die Quynn-Mütze für meinen Sohn zu beenden. Dabei verstricke ich ein Noro-Garn zum ersten Mal. Eine liebe Blogleserin meinte, dass das das Garn ist, um Winterdepressionen zu bekämpfen. Hm, allerdings haben wir dieses Jahr ja gar keinen richtigen Winter. Die zwei, drei Zentimeter Schnee, die letzte Woche fielen, sind schon längst wieder weg, während Österreich im Schnee ertrinkt. Hoffentlich bringt der Februar nochmal ein bisschen Schnee, damit wir rodeln können. Die Mütze ist fast fertig, allerdings soll sie erst in den ersten kalten Frühlingstagen getragen werden. Für Winter ist sie mir ein bisschen zu dünn.
Ansonsten lese ich gerade den Roman "Die vierte Hand" von John Iriving. Normalerweise lese ich nur ein Buch pro Autor. Wenn mir ein Buch eines Autors sehr gefällt, bin ich von einem anderen desselben Autors meist enttäuscht. Dabei mache ich allerdings einige Ausnahmen. John Irving ist einer der Ausnahmeautoren. Von ihm gelesen habe ich "Hotel New Hampshire", "Garp und wie er die Welt sah" und "Letzte Nacht in Twisted River". Jedes einzelne hat mir sehr gut gefallen, weswegen ich nicht gezögert habe, als ich "Die vierte Hand" in der Bibliothek sah. Allerdings ist dieses Buch eine große Enttäuschung für mich. Die Art und Weise, wie er die Geschichte rückblickend erzählt, sagt mir einfach nicht zu. Die Charaktere sind komisch und langweilig und die Handlung - nun ja, welche Handlung? Mal sehen, ob sich das Buch vielleicht noch ändert.